11 November, 2010

Sweet Potato Pie and I Shut My Mouth...

Gone, gone with the wind...there ain't nobody looking back again.  I love that song by Alabama.  Songs like this make me miss the good ol' days.  Days when things were simple.  No one was at war.  Housing market was good.  Jobs were abundant.  

When I was growing up, we didn't "want" for anything.  Daddy worked on the farm, and mama worked in the house.  We knew not to ask for much, but we had everything we needed.  Daddy worked hard for everything he got.  He would leave early in the morning before we got up, and he would not come home sometimes until midnight just to sleep a few hours before going back to the field.  I hope to instill this hard work ethic in my son.  It will get him everything he will ever need in life.

Now, back to the reason I wrote this post...Sweet Potato Pie!  Who doesn't love Sweet Potato Pie in the South?  It is a must-have at Thanksgiving and Christmas for me.  Sometimes instead of making the larger pie, I will make a dozen miniature pies.  You can find the mini pie shells in the tin foil pans mostly around this time of the year.  I think at my local Wal-Mart, they are where the baked goodies are.  You know, the doughnuts, cakes, and pies that were NOT freshly made at your local Wal-Mart?  Look there.  I will be making a few large pies and a dozen mini pies this year.  I like to top my slice with fresh whipping cream.  Yum!  Here is the recipe I have been using for the past few years.  I can't remember where I found it, but a big "Thank You" to whomever this recipe belongs to! =)


Sweet Potato Pie

1 pound sweet potatoes
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 c. white sugar
1/2 c. milk
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust 

Boil sweet potatoes whole (with skin on) for about 45 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potatoes, and remove the skin. 

 With a mixer, mix the sweet potatoes and butter in a bowl.  Stir in sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth. Pour filling into an unbaked pie crust. 

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes, or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Love your new layout!!!!!!!!!! Maddox is precious!!! I will definitely have to try this recipe out!

    ReplyDelete